Greetings Reader technogigs, in today’s article, we will guide you on how to uninstall Norton 360 on your Mac computer. Norton 360 is a reliable antivirus software, however, there are several reasons as to why you might want to uninstall it. Maybe you have shifted to a different antivirus software, or you want to free up some space on your Mac. Whatever your reason may be, we have got you covered. Read on to find out how to uninstall Norton 360 on Mac.
The Strengths and Weaknesses of Uninstalling Norton 360 on Mac
Uninstalling Norton 360 on your Mac can offer several benefits. Firstly, it can help your Mac perform better. Norton 360 is a powerful antivirus software that runs in the background and can consume a lot of system resources which might slow down your computer. Secondly, it can free up some much-needed space on your hard drive. Norton 360 takes up a considerable amount of disk space which can be used for other important documents or files. Lastly, it can provide improved privacy and security. Sometimes, when antivirus software is not uninstalled properly, it can leave behind traces of the program which can become a security threat.
Uninstalling Norton 360 on Mac can also have potential drawbacks. Firstly, you might face compatibility issues with other software updates. Norton 360 comes with a web browser extension which can interfere with other updates. Secondly, uninstalling Norton 360 can also leave your computer vulnerable to malware attacks. As you might be aware, viruses are harmful and can be a security risk for your computer. Lastly, if you don’t uninstall Norton 360 properly, it can lead to corrupted user settings, which can be difficult to troubleshoot.
Table of Contents
|1.||Why Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac?|
|2.||Pre-requisites for Uninstalling|
|3.||Steps to Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac|
|4.||Uninstall Norton 360 Manually from Mac|
|5.||How to Completely Remove Norton 360 from Mac?|
|6.||Applications and Files to Look Out for When Uninstalling Norton 360 on Mac|
|7.||Resolve Issues During Norton 360 Uninstallation on Mac|
|8.||How to Remove Norton 360 from Startup on Mac?|
|9.||Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac through Terminal|
|10.||Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac using CleanMyMac|
|11.||How to Reinstall Norton 360 on Mac?|
Why Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac?
Norton 360 is an antivirus software that protects your computer from viruses, malware, and other online threats. However, there are several reasons why you might want to uninstall it from your Mac computer. Here are some of the common reasons:
1. Slow Performance of Mac
One reason you might want to uninstall Norton 360 from your Mac is because it can slow down your computer. Norton 360 runs in the background and consumes a lot of system resources. This can ultimately affect the performance of your Mac.
2. Compatibility Issues with Other Software
Another reason to uninstall Norton 360 is compatibility issues. The Norton 360 web browser extension can interfere with other updates making it difficult to update other software. This can lead to instability and crashing of your Mac.
3. Freeing up Space
Norton 360 takes up a lot of disk space on your Mac. If you need more storage space, uninstalling Norton 360 is one way to free up some space.
4. Shift to a Different Antivirus Software
Lastly, you might want to uninstall Norton 360 if you have shifted to a different antivirus software program that suits your needs better.
Pre-requisites for Uninstalling Norton 360
Before you start the uninstallation process, make sure you have the following:
- Make sure you have an administrator account on your Mac.
- Save all the unsaved documents and close all open windows.
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection.
- Create a backup of your important files and documents.
Steps to Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac
Here are the steps to uninstall Norton 360 from your Mac:
Step 1: Quit Norton 360 Application
The first step is to quit Norton 360 if it’s currently running on your Mac. To do this, right-click on the Norton 360 icon in the menu bar and click on ‘Exit Norton 360’.
Step 2: Launch the Norton 360 Uninstaller
Open Finder and go to Applications. Locate the Norton 360 app and right-click on the application. Click on the ‘Move to trash’ option and drag the app to the Trash.
Step 3: Enter Admin Credentials
When prompted, enter your administrator password and click on ‘OK’.
Step 4: Confirm Uninstallation
A pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Uninstall’ to confirm the uninstallation process.
Step 5: Wait for Uninstallation to Complete
Wait until the uninstallation process is complete. This may take a few minutes. After the process is complete, restart your Mac.
Uninstall Norton 360 Manually from Mac
If the above steps do not work, you can also manually uninstall Norton 360 from your Mac. However, be cautious, uninstalling manually can lead to residual files being left behind which can be harmful to your computer.
Here’s how to manually uninstall Norton 360:
- Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- Enter the command ‘sudo find / -name “Symantec” -print | grep -v “/Developer/”’ and hit enter.
- A list of all the Symantec files will appear. Delete each file using the sudo rm -rf [path] command one by one.
- Restart your Mac after the process is done.
How to Completely Remove Norton 360 from Mac?
Uninstalling Norton 360 doesn’t remove the residual files. To completely remove Norton 360 from your Mac, you need to have an app that detects and removes the residual files. One such app is CleanMyMac X.
Here’s how you can use CleanMyMac X to remove Norton 360 completely:
- Download CleanMyMac X from the official website and install it on your Mac.
- Launch CleanMyMac X and go to the Uninstaller tab.
- Select Norton 360 from the list of installed applications and click on ‘Uninstall’ to remove it from your Mac completely.
Applications and Files to Look Out for When Uninstalling Norton 360 on Mac
When you uninstall Norton 360 from your Mac, you need to be aware of the applications and files that might be affected. Here are some of the crucial files to look out for:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Symantec Shared
Resolve Issues During Norton 360 Uninstallation on Mac
Sometimes, you might face issues while uninstalling Norton 360 on your Mac. Here are some common issues and how to resolve them:
1. Norton 360 Won’t Open
If you are having trouble opening Norton 360 to uninstall it, try restarting your computer, or running a virus scan to identify any issues that might be interfering with its functioning.
2. Norton 360 Not Uninstalling
If the installed version of Norton 360 is not uninstalling, you can try manually uninstalling Norton 360 from your Mac. Follow the steps mentioned in the previous sections for manual uninstallation.
3. Error Messages
If you receive error messages during the uninstallation process, you can try using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool which can fix issues with Norton 360 uninstallation.
How to Remove Norton 360 from Startup on Mac?
To remove Norton 360 from the startup menu, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to System Preferences and click on Users & Groups.
- Select your user account and click on Login Items from the top of the window.
- Select the Norton 360 app and click on the ‘–’ (minus) button to remove it from the startup menu.
Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac through Terminal
You can take the help of Terminal to remove the Norton 360 app from your Mac. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open Terminal on your Mac.
- Type the command ‘sudo rm –rf /Applications/Norton 360.app’ and hit enter.
- Let the process complete, and restart your Mac to save the changes.
Uninstall Norton 360 from Mac using CleanMyMac
If you want to go for complete Norton 360 removal on your Mac, you can use CleanMyMac for the same. Here’s how:
- Download and install CleanMyMac on your Mac.
- Launch the app and go to the Uninstaller tab on the left sidebar.
- Here, you will see a list of the apps installed on your Mac. Find Norton 360 from the list and click on it.
- Click on the ‘Uninstall’ button, and CleanMyMac will do the rest.
How to Reinstall Norton 360 on Mac?
If you by any chance you plan to reinstall Norton 360 on your Mac, you can do it by following these steps:
- Go to the official Norton website and log in to your account.
- Click on the “Download Norton” link present on the home screen.
- Enter your product key and click on “Agree & Download”.
- The Norton 360 installation file will start downloading. Once you have downloaded the file, double-click it to install Norton 360 on your Mac.
1. Can I auto-renew Norton 360 on my Mac?
Yes, you can auto-renew Norton 360 on your Mac by following these steps:
- Go to your Norton account and log in.
- Click on the “Automatic Renewal” tab.
- Toggle on the “Automatic Renewal” button.
2. How do I cancel subscription to Norton 360 on my Mac?
Follow these steps to cancel your Norton 360 subscription on your Mac:
- Go to your Norton account and log in.
- Click on the “Automatic Renewal” tab.
- Toggle off the “Automatic Renewal” button.
- Confirm by clicking on the “Turn Off” button to cancel your subscription.
3. How often should I update Norton 360 on my Mac?
You should update Norton 360 on your Mac as soon as a new update is available. Updating the software helps it to identify and detect new threats.
4. Can Norton 360 protect my Mac from malware?
Yes, Norton 360 can effectively protect your Mac from malware, viruses, and other online threats.
5. What is the cost of Norton 360?
The cost of Norton 360 can range from $9.99/month to $49.99/year depending on the plan you choose.
6. How do I ensure my Mac is protected after uninstalling Norton 360?
You can install other antivirus software packages on your Mac to ensure its protection after uninstalling Norton 360.
7. Can residual files of Norton 360 affect my Mac?
Yes, any residual files left behind can pose a security risk to your Mac. Hence, it is important to make sure all files are removed while uninstalling Norton 360.
We hope this article has helped you to successfully uninstall Norton 360 from your Mac. As we have discussed, a proper uninstallation is important to ensure that no files are left behind and your computer stays protected. If you have any more queries regarding the uninstallation process or Norton 360, feel free to reach out to us in the comments. Remember to install another antivirus software after the uninstallation to keep your Mac protected.
Thank you for reading!
This article is intended for educational and informational purposes only. The publisher is not responsible for any damages resulting from any misinformation or errors that may be found herein. Please seek assistance from a professional if you require specific advice regarding the article’s topic.